Monday, May 11, 2009

Scooting Lelah and becoming vegetarians

I can't believe I haven't mentioned it yet... Lelah is now mobile. :)  She's not crawling though... she's scooting.  She started around Easter, and just keeps getting better and better at it.  She's ruining her socks, pants and diapers. lol  If she drools on the ground, or drips water on the ground from her sippy cup, or somehow the ground is wet, and then she scoots over it, what a mess!  It's pretty adorable how she does it.  She squeezes her legs together like a little frog and then pushes them out straight in front of her and pulls herself.  I think she's got to have the best leg and core muscles out of everyone in this household. :D  When she wants to she can get going pretty dang fast... it's so adorable! I plan on videoing it sometime soon so I can post it on my hippy site, and probably on myspace too... I really feel like we need to record it so that we never forget how adorable her mobility is. :)

Josh and I decided on Tuesday that we are going to be vegetarian.  It's been going really good... I'm quite impressed at how easy it is.  I have an appointment on Thursday to talk to a dietician just to be sure that I'm not missing anything.  I gave all of our meat to Jen and Jeremy on Tuesday after we decided.  We've been eating so well.  We're really loving it so far.  We have had vegi stir fry on yakisoba noodles, a new macaroni and cheese with cottage cheese, parmesan and sour cream, made with broccoli.  I made manicotti tonight with ricotta cheese (that I made myself!), parmesan, mozzarella and spinach, with the no knead bread that we love so much and a beautiful salad with cheese, red onion, cucumber, tomato, red pepper, sunflower seeds and pine nuts.  I've also made a "taco" salad made with kidney beans seasoned with taco seasoning, and then all the regular fixings.  Saturday night I made a pasta salad that was "complete" according to the mayo clinics "lacto-ovo vegetarian food pyramid" complete with whole wheat pasta, vegis, and legumes.  It was super yummy, and everyone in the house enjoyed it.  (Josh and I have decided that Lelah enjoying something doesn't count for much though since she enjoys EVERYTHING.... lol)  I've made a list of all the dinners we've tried... I don't want to feel like I don't have anything that I can cook.  One thing is for sure, we're getting way more green vegis, and since we've moved to the baby greens, I feel like we're being quite healthy.  Today I made some seitan, which is a vegetarian (and vegan for that matter) meat alternative, and it's okay.  I'm hoping that I can find a recipe that will make it a bit more firm.  Right now it's awfully spongy similar to tofu... and while I don't mind the taste, I would really like to enjoy the texture just as much.  This stuff is seasoned in a oriental-type way, so I figure we'll have it in like stir fry and maybe fried rice or something.  

Okay, that's it for me.  

No comments: